Monday, May 16, 2011

Oregon Coast 5-16-11

I left Astoria, Oregon a bit later than I intended this morning.
It looked like it was going to rain the whole day and it was blowing pretty hard. I had to plow into a stiff headwind the whole day and it came close to breaking me a quite a few times.

I went to Angelina's Pizzeria & Cafe for for lunch in the little town of Seaside. It was the first day for the new owner. Her name is Beth and she made great pizza. Her crew was friendly and I took a photo of them. I'm a pizza snob and she made great pizza! She gave me all the ice tea I wanted and let me top off my water bottle with tea.

While in a public restroom in a small town an obviously stoned man pulled out a knife, not a big knife but a knife, and I thought I as going to have to defend myself. I quickly took off my helmet to use as a bludgeon but then he asked me if I wanted to buy the knife for $49.99. I said no and when I came out he told me I had a cool bike. Instead of being a natural born killer I thought he was he was most likely the friendly town drunk. In South America I keep some small bills to give to bandits. I will have to keep a few ones in my pocket on this trip. I don't expect trouble but good to be ready.

The best and worst part of the ride today was the steep passes. I had to push Audry up three very long and steep passes. By early afternoon it was still blowing but clear and very hot for me. The view of the Pacific Ocean and beaches were spectacular.

There was a long tunnel that you have to pass through It was steep and as loud as a jet taking off in the tunnel. It took me about 10 min to get out of the tunnel and I was happy to escape. There is one more along the route that I am no looking forward to.

I met some fellow bikers from St. Louis today. Austin and Emily are spending the next month on their way to Mexico by bike. It was like the rabbit and the turtle race. We talked at the top of the second hill. Then I bombed down the 7% grade hill for miles. The much advertised bike riding shoulder on 101 vanished on the pass and semis were passing us within inches.They caught up to me as I was trudging up the next pass and they vanished from site as they went up the hill and vanished around the mountain top. I didn't think I would ever see them again but caught up to them at a general store. We talked about how fun riding down the pass then said good bye again. After cleaning up at the motel I found a Mexican joint for dinner and Emily and Austin were there. It was good to see them for dinner. We are obviously destined to see each other so we just said see you on the road instead of saying goodbye.

My throat feels raw and I hope I'm not getting sick. I hope it was just breathing the hot dusty road air all day and not a serious cold coming on.

No comments:

Post a Comment